Thursday, May 26, 2011

trying to catch the horses

the earth spins so fast with so many sounds of freeways and fire and ice cream trucks and i can't keep up, the long-lost brief smells of horses and leather and hay. i can't keep up, i'm exhausted, i can't catch hold, or is it me who is skipping about too quickly to keep pace with?


i'm in a time-muddle. i feel afire. 




but aren't they lovely, these early sunny summer days?






Trying to Catch the Horses

When I give up and turn my attention
to the purr of the grass, the clatter of the aspen,
the clouds lifting off Mt. Teewinot,
I become a curious god, a tar baby,
a clump of grass they must graze. 

I reach up and touch the blue with my fingers,
not just the air above my head,
but the sky itself as far as it goes. 

-Dan Gerber

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

these sunny summer days are nice.. but deceiving. but despite the beauty we physically see, don't we still feel the same on the inside? our insecurities, doubts, fears simply take over us. Can't help but feel sad on these sunny summer days


you know, I was sitting in the passenger seat of a car tonight - I felt like I was in complete slow motion. my thoughts stopped, *Blank*, but we were moving fast on the freeway. I felt like I was on xanax again - Just so slow, & calm


felt like I needed to tell you about that. maybe I'm just tired?


xxxx

Anonymous said...

& ps -


thank you for the comments. they made me smile.. I will be sure not to let Alice go, because she is Mine and yours

xx

witches said...

the fairy lights are lit in my window and across my bookshelves for you, because there's no moon. i don't know what to say to you, beyond assurances of your poetry. in the meantime, isn't it funny how 'poking back' on facebook is like an international hug?

Anniina said...

exactly the way i feel